Why Women Depression is More Common Than Men?
According to all research or studies the rate of depression is twice in women than men. In USA more than 12 million female are suffering from depression whereas only 6 million men are experiencing depression. The less number of depressed men does not refer that depression is uncommon for men, they are also experiencing depressive illness but male depression often goes undiagnosed. Moreover different stages of life lead the females prone to depression more than men. There are certain reasons which foster depression in large number among women than men. Here are the following:
- Male depression often goes undiagnosed: male depression often cannot recognize or diagnosed by the male or other family members. Sometimes the doctors also become unable to diagnosis the male depression. Because the men think that expressing the mental difficulties to others means losing their self esteem. Men depend on their self help; they do not seek for any treatment. Though the man is suffering from depressive illness he is reluctant to go to doctor for taking treatment. They even do not share their sorrows and difficulties to their friends and family. So male depression often goes undiagnosed.
- Puberty: puberty stage is more risky for teenage girls than teenage boys. Before transition into puberty stage the depression rate could be same between boys and girls, but after reaches to puberty stage the rate depressive illness is higher among teenage girls. Puberty period brings hormonal changes along with psychological and physical changes in massive way in teenage life especially in girl’s life. These changes could affect the girls than boys and sometimes put the teenage girls into depressive disorder.
- Premenstrual stage: before transition into menstrual period female have to face premenstrual syndrome which can lead some difficulties such as hormonal fluctuate, stress, mood disorder, breast tenderness. Sometimes due to these difficulties women could develop depression. But in this stage depression will not continue for long time. After reaches to menstrual period the symptoms will gradually reduce. As the female only have to experience these symptoms so depression rate is naturally higher among women.
- Pregnancy: Pregnancy occur massive changes in women’s life including physical, psychological, hormonal. During pregnancy depression rate is higher among women due to extra stress, direness, change of regular life style, change of physical structure and so on. Therefore, pregnancy is one of the main reasons for greater number of female depression than male depression.
- Postpartum stage: After becoming a mother, often the female could not adjust with new responsibilities and become unable to fulfill their responsibilities properly. As a result the women develop depression.
- Menopause: Menopause is another reason which makes depression frequently visible in women than men. Because before getting into menopause or during menopause the hormonal fluctuation can foster women to develop depression.
- Thyroid: At the middle age many women suffer from thyroid problem. This thyroid problem brings some changes women’s life and can cause depressive disorder among women. Thyroid disease is more common in women whereas it very less uncommon for men.
- Unequal social rights:From the very beginning the women are getting less social rights and power than men in everywhere including home, office, educational life. These unequal social rights make women less confident, lonely and dependent to others. And these unusual circumstances built the depressive illness more in female.
- Sexual abuse:In the whole world sexual abuse is the biggest reason of female depression which is more common in women than men. So depressive illness is also more visible in female.
- Poor relation: Poor relation between husband and wife affect female’s life more. Because, the wife has to perform all duties alone. Sometimes poor relation can also create financial crisis for women which can put them in the depressive state. Especially the depressive rate is higher for single mother.