Undiagnosed Male Depression
epression sometimes ranges in higher stage and lead major disorder or serious difficulties. But depressive illness does not start from severe stage. It ranges from mild to severe stage. If depression could be identified within proper time and proper treatment could be taken, then people will be able to come out of depression early and successfully. Most often men unaware of their depressive illness and unable to diagnosed their depression. In some cases male depression resulted in major disorder. Even some men do not express their mental difficulties towards the people. They tend to believe on self help. Male do not seek for help even from their nearest one. As a result male depression often undiagnosed.
Here are the some detailed descriptions about the reasons behind undiagnosed male depression:
- Failure to recognize depression: The first and foremost reason men often unable to identify that they are in depression. They are unaware of the symptoms of depression. Though, they are experiencing some mental illness like feeling sad or anxious and physical illness such as sleep disturbance or appetite change. But they consider these signs or symptoms as side effects of other disease like heart disease, headaches, and digestive problem, even cancer. So male should beware of the symptoms of depression that he can recognize depressive illness.
- Downplaying signs and symptoms: Male is facing the difficulties of depression but they are unaware of the negative outcome of the depression. He ignores his problems because he thinks it will be hampering his strong personality or can lose his self esteem. By avoiding the symptoms and signs problem male depression often becomes undiagnosed.
- Reluctance to discuss depressive symptoms: Men naturally tend to be more powerful, strong than women. They always depend upon themselves. They believe that they have enough capabilities to come out of any situation. That’s why men do not want to share their difficulties with anybody even to friends and family members. Especially in case of depression because it is relate with some psychological problems. So the friends and family of the man also cannot recognize that their nearest person is in depression.
- Resisting mental health treatment: Male depression specially becomes frequent after retirement. Because the man has to get release from his regular activities and depends on someone for financial purpose. Loneliness is another reason. So, man becomes depressed severely. But he does not prefer treatment or express his problems. He thinks that it will be extra burden for his family and create anxiety in the family. That’s why the man reluctant to take any treatment.
- Fear of poor relationship: Depression often lead some psychological problem like loss of interest, lack of energy, grief and also some physical illness like loss of sex drive. Some men become scare of their depressive state and think that it can affect their married life and spoil the relationship. So they try to solve their problem by themselves and hide their illness